Thursday, April 7, 2022

Field Suturing

Some time ago, at a church I previously attended, the decision was made to order medical gear for the safety / security team.  Before I could meet with the administrator who would actually do the ordering, someone on the team (whom I had not put on the team - read into that what you will) got to the administrator and made a list of items. 

What we got was a disorganized mis-mash of items that had varying degrees of applicability.  Band aids, ointment, a strip or two of gauze, bug bite medicine, sutures, etc. Not one tourniquet. Not one hemostatic or wound packing gauze.  Not one proper pressure dressing. Not one chest seal. 

I worked with the administrator on what items to keep for a good first aid kit, what items to return, and what items to order for proper emergency trauma bags. 

When the items came and I put together the bags, the Safety Team memeber whom I had not selected complained that the suture kit was not there.  I explained that the circumstances under which one of our team members would do suturing simply did not exist.  I added that EMTs and Paramedics almost never suture, they control the bleeding first. Later, a doctor decides what repair and reconstruction is needed.  

Of course, this caused that individual to become unhappy.  They said "you don't know what I've done." (Meaning what skills or training they had prior to meeting me). Naturally, I asked them to tell me. 

Silence. 

In a chat group recently, a friend who is a critical care Paramedic shared  this YouTube video from the "Gray Bearded Green Beret." You should really watch the video!

In the video, among the plethora of wisdom shared, Joshua Enyart (the "Gray Bearded Green Beret") states -
"Suturing is not a bleeding control technique."

Ah, if only I had been that eloquent in the situation mentioned above.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.