Monday, December 27, 2021

Gun Myth 1

Today is Day 3 of the 12 Days of Christmas. This week, in light of it being in the middle of the 12 Days of Christmas, this blog will concentrate on the 12 gun myths of Christmas (or really, of all time). 

Today's topic: M855 clones. 

So many people are "in love" with M855 ammunition. Many will reach out to me and ask angrily why I do not allow M855 at my classes. The answer simply put, is that I use steel targets, and the M855 does one thing well - penetrate steel targets. Since, in this insane idea to turn a profit, I would prefer to be able to use my $200 apiece steel targets more than once, I forbid use of M855 on them.

When I ask people why they prefer M855, they often respond with some variation of "it's better!" Better than what, you might ask? Better than other ammo choices is the insinuated answer. But is it? If so, how is it better? 

To look at this objectively, let's look at three of the most common topics used to compare ammunition: accuracy (technically, precision), affordability, and terminal performance. 

ACCURACY
Technically, precision. With US manufactured ammunition, M855 averages 4 MOA or more. Meanwhile, the M193 hovers around 2 MOA. This is a clear and distinct win for the M193. It is more accurate. The M855 *may* buck wind better at distance, but neither round is ideal at longer ranges. This data supports observations I've made in classes I've taught. 
This is a win for M193.

AFFORDABILITY
Since I have been shooting the AR15 platform, M855 has averaged 50% more expensive. When M193 was about $0.35 per round, M855 was about $0.55 per round. Currently, I can obtain M193 for $0.60 per round and M855 is $0.90.
This is a win for M193.

TERMINAL PERFORMANCE
As a rule, fragmentation of the 5.56 mm round is what causes much more substantial tissue damage. Simply put, M193 fragments much more, and much more reliably than M855.
This is a win for M193.


SUMMARY
Hmmm... all three categories are a win for M193. *If* (and it is a big "if") one uses foreign manufactured M855, then accuracy is awash - not even a win for M855. There is no discernable reason to use M855 over M193. 

10 comments:

  1. 855 is blaster ammo,thats about it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which begs the question - why "blast" it if it is more expensive than the 55 grain stuff?

      Delete
  2. I notice that you didn't even consider 855 v. 193 on body armor, which the Feds, among others, wear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Considered it, but that topic needs its own blog post.

      Delete
  3. You forgot the yaw issue leasing to very inconsistent performance.

    I have a can of it that I bought it to squirrel away as it was in the .mil can and packaging. It was super cheap at one point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Forgot?"
      No, my friend. It is covered well at the link "M193 fragments much more." And in previous blog posts. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  4. Can you do a article/comparison on tracer usage?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be a good post. Not sure I could add to what information is already out there. Definitely willing to give it a go.

      Delete

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.