Friday, October 1, 2021

More Training

Last weekend, I attended another Appleseed clinic. This one was in a different location than my first three. The instructor cadre was also completely different. The Shoot Boss has taken a class with me, and is one of the more friendly gun guys you are likely to meet. Took the class with two friends, neither of whom had been to an Appleseed before. 

One of my friends shot a Rifleman score, using my souped-up 10/22. The other showed great improvement. 

As expected, I shot the score both times there was an AQT. My second score was "only" a 218 - and the scorer and I agreed there was a double and that would have increased my score to 228 - but we only counted it as one hole, not two. 

For the first time at an Appleseed, I heard the Three Strikes of the Match. The presenters made it very entertaining. Not sure why all of this material was not presented at previous events. To be certain, parts were told - but way less than half. 

This event was a one-day event, and there was a different sequence of instruction and shooting at the beginning, and it yielded far better results. It was similar to what I had suggested earlier. The IMC presentation was very well done, and most everyone got it and could apply it. 

I used my MK12 Mod 0 Clone pictured here:



Of course, I removed the bipod and affixed a USGI web sling. On the opening drill (Redcoat targets), I estimated my dope and got pretty close. Cleaned the redcoat target. Here's how I did it:

The 300 yard dope on my rifle is up 1.1 Mils. The 400 yard dope is up 2.1 Mils. I would be shooting 55 grain ammo, although the rifle is zeroed for 77 grain - but this setup is usually within 0.2 Mils of being on the money with different ammunition choices. Since my experience is that 55 grain ammo out of 18" and 20" barrels is closer to the 400-yard mark than the 300-yard, I decided to split the difference and shade a bit more toward the 400-yard comeup. 

I shot with 1.8 Mils of elevation. After my first 3-shot group on the 100-yard simulated redcoat, I realized that the group was nearly 0.5 Mils low - so I just applied a holdover. Clearly it worked, as I cleared the drill (no misses). 

After that, I applied 1.5 Mils up in elevation, and that was pretty much on the money. 

Also of note - there were 8 instructors there all day, 2 Green Hats, 4 Red Hats, and 2 Orange Hats. One Red Hat came in at 10 am and left about 2:30 or 3. The newer shooters got lots of good advice. I got a couple of good pointers. And a couple of them watched me fire the final AQT. 

Overall - Good instruction, good class, good teachers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.