Friday, March 13, 2015

Favorite Ammo

Shot this at the range with my new SPR build. 



Barrel is a WOA 18" rifle - length fluted stainless steel work of art. It has a 1/7 twist and weighs less than a 16" RECCE barrel. I topped off the upper with a Samson 12" free float keymod tube. The barrel has a low-pro gas block. At the time this was being written, I am awaiting a pair of Diamondhead BUIS. 

Lower was one I already had. A2 rifle stock and a RRA match trigger make the SAA lower just to my liking. Overall weight of the rifle unloaded is under 7 lbs. And, as you can see, this rifle is capable of sub-MOA accuracy. 

In addition to establishing a zero, I was also testing 5-shot groups: checking different ammo at 100 yards. Here's the rundown:

Top group was Prvi Partisan 75-gr. match ammo. I have had good luck with this ammo through my 20" ER Shaw match SS heavy barrel. However, the WOA barrel simply does not like it! At 50 yards, it was getting spreads of over 2"! It seemed to "settle down" (or was just lucky?) at 100 yards to over 3" groups. Not a good pairing. I know the ammo is capable of better... just isn't a good match of ammo and barrel. 

Middle group was shot using Remington Premier Match - which is 69-gr. ammo. This ammo features Sierra Matchking bullets and clearly got the best results of the day. I intend to purchase more of this and try my hand at the 1 MOA All Day Long Challenge

Bottom group was shot using Hornady HPR 75-grain ammo. I purchased the ammo knowing full well of its reputation of having issues with consistent powder loads. Seems this day proved that point yet again. I'd like to try Hornady match ammo and Hornady steel match ammo to see if I get better results than the 2.5" spread shown here. Interesting to observe, the horizontal spread was barely an inch. The vertical spread was the killer... and is proof of different velocities of the projectiles. 

Looks like stocking up on Remington Premier Match ammo is not a foolish idea for me. I also intend to try other match grade loads. 

Oh, by the way, I was able to nail a 4" clay target at 200 yards with an ACOG on this rifle. Using Federal American Eagle 55-gr. bulk ammo. I've blogged about the accuracy I often get from that ammo, and it was true again, this day. 


.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.