Friday, May 17, 2013

Cannot be translated

The other day, I came across this list of ten words that cannot be translated into an English word. Pretty interresting:

Link here.

My favorites?
Ilunga (from the Bantu).
Uitwaaien (from the Dutch)

As a youth; my friends, my brother, and I had our own words for:
Kyoikumama (from the Japanese) - we called it "the Joes."
Espirit d'Escalier (from the French) - we called it durnedolreply (durned ol reply).
Bakku-shan (also from the Japanese) - we called it LGGNC (said it like "log-ink")... it was an acronym which stood for: "Looks Good Going, Not Coming." I think I prefer bakku-shan now.


What about you? Any unique words you use?


.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.