Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Product Review - Blackberry Torch

I am a long-time fan of the Blackberry platform. I seek functionality in my working phone over glitz and glamor, and Blackberry provides just that. At the heart of the matter is my texting (3000+ per month) and emailing (20+ per day) needs. Having buttons to type on is of the greatest advantage.

For years, I had a Blackberry Curve, but this past summer, I obtained a Blackberry Torch. It has several upgrades over the Curve, most notably was internet browsing ability and a touch screen (taking a page out of the Droid and iPhone playbooks).

The Torch is not too big - no bigger than a Curve, except maybe a bit thicker. It is heavier, but that is to be expected with a slide-open design. The larger screen is worth the trade. It makes doing things like Twitter and Facebook much easier.

Speaking of Facebook, the number 1 complaint I had of the Curve was that as you scrolled through Facebook posts, you could not stop mid-post on longer pictures and entries. You had to look at the first part, or the last. The screen would skip over the middle, and acted as though it could not balance on it. The Torch can stop at any point, no different than iPhone or Droid.

Calling function on the Torch is better than the Curve in that the audio was louder - actually enabling me to hear people without having to resort to earbuds.

The only software glitch I encountered was a perpetual reboot, which I understand is the bane of the platform. However, once one learns how to reboot using one's computer, the problem is solved easily.

The touch screen on the Torch is appropriately sensitive, yet not overly. It is on par with the iPhone with regards to accuracy and sensitivity. The touch screen itself made use of the rollerball much less than the Curve. Broken rollerballs are known issues with Blackberries, but are also easily fixed. I never had that problem with my Torch, though I did see the issue on two Curves (one personal, one company-issued).

Overall, the Torch is an excellent smartphone. I'd gladly get another. I hate that my employer mandated iPhones for us, as I was forced to get rid of it and the iPhone simply does not possess the functionality.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.