Friday, April 6, 2012

Harmful side effects

Today is April 6, 2012. Accordingly, it is also a full moon. In my experience, the full moon is a time when crazy people get crazier, strange people get stranger, and weird things happen.

Over the past 12 months, I've had some really odd interactions with people. So has the Mrs. We both firmly believe that this is due, at least in part, to the significant weight loss that we both have achieved of late. Both of us have lost in excess of 80 pounds from our respective peak weights.

#1
This person, whom I'd met several years ago, works for a former client. she approached me back in the summer, and made an indecent proposal - knowing full well that I am married. I refused. She insisted for a time, but lost interest. I was glad I never so much as returned the interest, much less gave in to the temptation. She had told me that she was divorced now. I found out that she is indeed married, and actually recently moved out of state with her husband as he changed jobs.

#2
This person, whom I met on a plane shortly after dealing with #1, approached me despite knowing full well that I was married. In fact, a good portion of our conversation on the plane was about my wife and kids. She was a little more relentless, but was finally swayed to understand that I would not give in to her offers. Then she started a brief cyberstalking bit. Finally, she gave up as I refused to return any attention her way.

#3
This person, whom my wife and I met ten years ago, recently started chatting out of the blue with my wife. It wasn't long before he revealed what he wanted of her, and it, too, was indecent. She refused, and he persisted. Finally, he realized she was not to be swayed.

#4
Another person I'd met through work, as she had worked for a client. This person never made an indecent proposal, but was chock-full of "teh crazy." Claiming to me that she'd never even had a boyfriend, but then it was revealed later to a number of her friends (myself included) that she had given birth last year and given the baby up for adoption.

#5
A modern day pharisee; this person I met at church, too. He has engaged in all manners of crazy, and seems at times to be as relentless as the others. his tactics ranged from bully attempts to trying to make disparaging remarks on this blog whilst pretending to be "anonymous." He even has penned counter blog posts, describing his fantasy of what I endured with #2. But his inability to understand the spoken word, much less the written word (or maybe it was his secret fetish to engage in the sort of activity he counter-claimed) has rendered his accusations as humorous at best - primarily due to how far from truth they actually are. But, that's this guy in a nutshell - so far from truth it is truly sad.

#6
My soon-to-be-ex-sister-in-law-thank-God! Quite possibly the craziest of all these, except perhaps #5 (I'm still trying to gauge just how far a person can operate from reality without getting themselves committed to state-ordered mental care). It would appear that she actually LOOKS for ways to be as odd as possible. From not taking baths or using soap, to exaggerated exercise claims, to how she "raises" my poor little nephew, this one really takes the cake. But, in the interest of fairness, I've known her the longest of any on this list, and since she was family, I understand I've been privy to information on her that I do not have on others. So be it.


You got some? Tell me about it and I'll blog!


.

2 comments:

  1. Dang, I must just be plum butt ugly or something. Not that I am complaining mind you. My wife has had some offers now and then, one while dragging along 2 very young kids.. me? Not a single peeper or nothing..

    Since we live in a closer community, we have our share of odd and crazy people. Even one that goes by Hill Billy (says so on his truck too). We have the hermit clan up the mountain... I would still rather be here than in the city.

    -Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading, Mark.
    That may be my problem - Nashville metro has 1.4 million. Sad thing is, my two "offers" were not from this area. One was a small town, the other was New York!

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.