Friday, April 13, 2012

Gun Review - Ruger LC9

So I recently swapped my GLOCK 19 for a Ruger LC9 as a carry piece. To be certain, I still have the GLOCK. However, the Ruger is designed for concealed carry, and I'd fired my dad's, so it became part of my collection.


My friend, Amiee, at the Shooter's Depot in Chattanooga worked with me to get one ordered and delivered.

Facts:
The Ruger is much slimmer than the GLOCK, but fires the same 9mm round.
The LC9 has a loaded chamber indicator. Here's what it looks like loaded:

And here's what it looks like when there is not a round in the chamber:


The magazine holds 7 rounds. I keep one in the chamber, so that's 8 rounds with me, vs. the GLOCK with 15 rounds.

The pistol has an external safety near the rear of the port side. Safety on:
Safety off:





Opinions:
The trigger is horrible. I'd say worst trigger I've ever pulled on a gun, but I have a Smith & Wesson Sigma that takes that "honor." The reset is really bad, too.
The slide release is difficult to operate. The pistol works far better with the "tap-rack-bang" methodology.


Recoil is a bit sharper than the G19 - but it is a lighter firearm, so that is to be expected. Still not bad.
Fit and finish is tight. Very nice.
Mag changes with my large hands are a bit clumsy.



Sights are adequate. There are upgrades, but I only wanted base minimum. That's all I personally need.
Extra mags are mid-priced at about $35-$40 apiece.
Accuracy was as-expected for a "pocket-pistol."

Overall:
It conceals really well, and holsters that fit are easy to find.
I do not feel undergunned with a 9mm.
Not the best trigger, but I do not expect to go into combat with it.


.

1 comment:

  1. best conceal gun I have owned gos everywhere I go and thats the thing I take it every time

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.