Sunday, April 29, 2012

Album Review

I've been sitting on this one for a while. I purchased some time ago the old Metallica album "S&M" and have listened to it several times through.

I'd heard several of these songs through the years, but never the entire concert as released. In fact, when the album was released, my brother in law obtained it, and kept raving about it. Now I understand why that was.

Sure, rock bands have played with orchestras before. Maybe even choirs. Music is cool, and like certain foods, some combinations pair up well. But nobody prior had paired up heavy metal with symphonic music.

Before I get into the meat of my review, I'd like to point out that it was not Metallica knocking down the doors of some poor symphony to get this done. Instead, it was Maestro Michael Kamen, a fan of Metallica's music, who sought out the pairing. Kamen had collaborated with Metallica on their release Nothing Else Matters. Metallica was a good choice, as original bassist, Cliff Burton, had drawn significant inspiration from classical music.

Not being a musician, nor a worthy singer, nor an expert on things musical, I can only give this review as a fan of the music. So, spartan as it may be, and certainly 13 years too late, here goes:

Worst song:
On this album had to be For Whom the Bell Tolls. I love this song, it's one of my favorites, but it is not well-suited to orchestral music, and the accompaniment is just a bit off. Understand though, this version is still better than most albums by so many other artists.

S&M only songs:
No Leaf Clover - if I ever get a band and do a cover (scary thought, huh?), this is the song I absolutely must cover. This is the best song on the album, as it is the pure mix of Metallica and the Symphony.
- Human - Really good song. Obviously geared a bit more to the metal playing than orchestra, and with lyrics noteworthy of Metallica, full of double entendre and riveting on both sides of the meaning.

Best song:
Master of Puppets. This was really hard to pick. Many of the songs performed could easily be the best: One, Outlaw Torn, Bleeding Me; all depending on one's own personal preference. However, I give the nod to Master just simply because it is clear this is the song that Metallica and the San Francisco Symphony worked hardest on together to get it right, and they succeeded.

What would I change?
Nothing. Maybe add Orion, Harvester of Sorrows, and Unforgiven


.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.