Saturday, February 13, 2010

Oldie from my family

My mother, "Moms," is an LPN - Licensed Practical Nurse. She obtained the education and license when I was seven years old. As she has been in the hospital of late, I am reminded of a story she told from her days in nursing training school.

The nurses were doing their OB training, much of which was shadowing current nurses in hospitals as they do their rounds.

Moms' friend, Carrie* (names changed to protect... er... someone), is shadowing a nurse who is attending to a young mother in labor. The mom-to-be is in her teens - definitely not yet 18 years of age. As is natural, there is pain, and the young mom-to-be is screaming with the pain from time to time.

A little background is appropriate here. Carrie* is a large lady - well over six feet tall and at least 400 pounds. (If you think I exagerate those numbers, I invite you to ask my brother, sister, or my dad.) Carrie* is also an "appalachian-American" (read: redneck). She adopts a to-the-point manner of communication. Most would say she is blunt... to the point of being almost rude in certain situations.

This was one of those situations.

As the young mom-to-be finishes up screaming from the most recent contraction-induced labor pain, Carrie* states rather matter-of-factly:
"Ain't as much fun gettin' it out as gettin' it in, hmmm?"


Yes, the supervisor admonished her later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.