Friday, January 25, 2013

Responses

I have written to my two Senators and my Congressman in regards to Feinstein's attacks on the Second Amendment. Their responses:

Senator Bob Corker:
Thank you for taking the time to contact my office regarding the tragic shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary and the issue of gun control. Your input is important to me, and I appreciate the time you took to share your thoughts.
Like any parent, I was heartbroken to hear about this tragedy, and like other Tennesseans, I have the victims and families in my thoughts and prayers. Given such an unspeakable act of violence perpetrated on children, it's appropriate to talk about what we're doing to keep our communities safe, recognizing the issues involved are complex, especially when it comes to identifying and acting upon the warning signs that always seem to precede these incidents.
While I have always believed that it is critical to ensure that firearms are kept out of the hands of those who have lost their constitutional right to firearm possession, the right to own firearms for shooting, hunting, and self-protection is important to me as a Tennessean and as an American. Should legislation dealing with our Second Amendment rights come before the Senate, I will certainly take your concerns into consideration. I also wanted to share the steps I have taken to protect our Second Amendment rights in the attached "Policy Points" document.
Thank you again for your letter. I hope you will continue to share your thoughts with me.


Senator Lamar Alexander:
Thank you for sharing your feelings regarding the tragic shootings in Newtown, Connecticut. I was horrified by this attack that left twenty-eight dead. My thoughts and prayers are for the victims and those who now live with their loss.
As we learn more about the tragedy in Newtown, I think we must look closely at the behavior of isolated young men who develop an obsession with violence. We should ask the leaders of the entertainment industry whether they would want their children--or those who might harm their children--to watch the increasingly violent video games and movies that they pour into our culture. This is not the only cause of violence in our society but it is one important cause. Connecticut has strong gun laws. The problem is not with the gun but with the person pulling the trigger.
This is a terrible event for our nation and we must find appropriate ways to respond. I’m grateful you’ve shared your reactions with me and will keep them in mind as we move forward.


Congressman Diane Black:
Thank you for contacting me concerning gun control and our 2nd Amendment rights. I appreciate you taking the time to express your thoughts on this important issue.
As you may know, the tragedies in Newtown, Connecticut and Aurora, Colorado have prompted some lawmakers to consider new weapons bans, such as the recent legislation proposed by Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) which would prohibit the sale, transfer, importation and manufacturing of so-called "assault weapons" as well as large ammunition magazines that hold more than 10 rounds.
While I believe that these horrific events warrant a serious discussion on what can be done to prevent future violence, I do not believe that greater government restrictions on gun ownership offer a viable solution to this problem and am not supportive of additional firearm bans; including the AR-15 rifle.
As a firearm owner and supporter of responsible gun ownership, I believe that our 2nd Amendment rights are fundamental and must be protected. The discussion on gun control by the main stream media and some of my colleagues in Congress will only treat the symptoms of these tragic events, doing little to address the root cause behind how these incidents occur. Furthermore, they operate on the completely misguided premise that criminals will obey gun laws.
Instead of this approach, we must work to strengthen families and empower parents to provide safe home environments for their children and to recognize aggressive behaviors early on. Additionally, we must work with our communities to curb the trend of desensitization to violence, profanity and other high-risk behaviors glamorized by video games and movies that often consume children's time, and shift to a culture that respects the sanctity and value of each innocent human life.
As a nurse for more than 40 years, I believe we must be prepared for a conversation on school violence as it relates to mental health. While many details remain unclear regarding the motives of the gunmen in the Newtown, Connecticut and Aurora, Colorado tragedies, we know that these individual were among the millions of Americans with a mental disorder, and may have benefited from treatment options or more frequent opportunities to speak with counselors. Examples such as this are among the many reasons I continue to advocate for patient-centered healthcare reforms that will offer those facing mental disabilities access to the care that they need.
As discussion continues over what can be done to stop future acts of violence and keep our citizens safe, rest assured that I will work to achieve these goals in a way that upholds the provisions of 2nd Amendment and protects the rights of private citizens.


Black's was the most calming to me, a gun owner. Corker's worried me the most. They all touched on other real problems that we as a society face and need to work on to prevent these sorts of tragedies. NONE of them addressed the role of powerful prescription drugs in these massacres. That is the single most concerning thing in my estimation. 

For the record, I sent my message to them all on Dec. 30, 2012.  Senator Alexander's was the first response on 1/8/2013, then Congressman Black's on 1/11/2013. Finally, Senator Corker's came in yesterday - 1/24/2013.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.