Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Smack Down

Pops would actually warn people before they started arguments with him. He would say: "I would have a battle of wits with you, but you are unarmed."

I am not as forewarning as my father. Maybe I should work towards that as a goal, but in the mean time, I enjoy verbal jousting. One gets to prove to others beyond a shadow of a doubt that they came to the battle of wits without first arming themselves.

Case in point: I was confronted some time ago by someone who thought they had found an instance where I had blogged something that offended them. They claimed that a friend had just happened across the blog post.

Of course, I checked the site visit history and found something interesting.

My reply?

"Actually it looks like you were sent to this post on Thursday at 9:35 am from an email sent by Dennis the Menace*. He probably told you about the post. But re-read it for yourself. It was not about you."

He re-read it, and realized it was not about him at all. Case deflated.

Alternate lesson to be learned here: Reading Is Fundamental. Often written "RIF"




* Not actual name. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.